Who Am I?
I've come up with a bulleted list which I hope will give some insight into who I am.
- I have lived in 2 South American countries and speak Spanish fluently.
- I’ve taught skateboarding and have trained Muay Thai.
- I have sponsored a child in El Salvador for over 8 years.
- I’m growing an avocado tree and an orange tree in my apartment.
- Obtained a coffee growing certificate from the Colombian government, yet I prefer to drink Yerba Mate.
- I have volunteered at orphanages in Romania... and I'd love to go back!
- One day I want an authentic Italian pizza oven in my backyard.
- Guacamole is absolutely delicious.
- Senior Developer at Regalii
- Developer at theScore
- Instructor at Lighthouse Labs
- Lead Developer at FlipGive
- Web Developer at Carlton Group
- Programmer at the National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group
- 6+ years Ruby on Rails
- 3+ years with React
- ~1 year Elixir & Phoenix
- ~1 year Python
- 10+ years PHP (CakePHP, Symfony, Wordpress)
- Databases: Postgres, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB
Websites I've worked on
- ABNORMAL studio - www.abnormalstudio.com
- FlipGive - www.flipgive.com
- This one! - www.leighhalliday.com
- Adopt a School - adoptaschool.indigo.ca
- Beyond Miles, Aeroplan - beyondmiles.aeroplan.com
- TD Tree Days - www.tdtreedays.com
- AFP Toronto - afptoronto.org
- the Clima - www.theclima.com
Code I've published
- Most of my code is private, but a lot of my demo repos for articles can be found on GitHub
Open source commits
I've made some small contributions to large open source projects that I use.
Articles & interviews
- Presentations I've made at different Ruby meetups in Toronto: Ruby DSLs, Ruby Metaprogramming
- Articles I've written have been included in the Ruby Weekly email on multiple occasions like in Episode 232 and Episode 239.
- I've been interviewed by Ruby Now and the podcasts are available in 3 parts at Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.
- I've been featured on the Ruby5 podcasts multiple times. Episode 604 talked about an article I wrote about microservices in Rails and episode 553 talked about my FizzBuzz in Elixir article.